Accept

We use cookies in order to save your preferences so we can provide a feature-rich, personalized website experience. We also use functionality from third-party vendors who may add additional cookies of their own (e.g. Analytics, Maps, Chat, etc). Read more about cookies in our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service. If you do not accept our use of Cookies, please do not use the website.

About

Our Story

Header Image

"Amid all that goes on at Harrison Presbyterian Church, we pray for God's grace to seek wisdom, humility, and ultimately to remain in Him."

Although the Town of Harrison was not a new town at the founding of Harrison Presbyterian Church, it had only reached a population of 1,485 by 1890. The town started growing with the building of the first railroad station in 1870. On a Friday evening in 1891, 35 Harrison residents dissatisfied with the lack of religious organization in the community and concerned about the spiirtual welfare of its people, met in the parlor of the Mansion House, a public inn built at the corner of Halstead Avenue and Purdy Street. As a result of this meeting, the Rye Presbyterian Church became interested and decided to help this group establish a chapel in Harrison. "Hope Chapel" was founded in March 1892 and opened for services in August. Those early services were conducted by visiting ministers. The church was established as the Presbyterian Church of Harrison in January 1900.

The Church became an integral part of the lives of the members and the surrounding community. Its impact continues to be felt over 100 years later, still standing at Harrison and Park Avenues where it was originally constructed. The Church bell was donated in 1892 by the Halstead family in memory of their daughter. The Church thus began a long history of commitment to the children of the Harrison community, as the inscription on the bell reads, "Suffer the little children to come unto me and forbid them not, for such is the Kingdom of Heaven." This inscription was later repeated in the stained glass windows in our current sanctuary when the church was rebuilt in 1925. And even now, our youth make up the majority of our worship team.

Although the church suffered a disastrous fire in May 1922, the 600 lb. bell was preserved and installed in the new church belfry where it still rings today. Only the front wall that supported the steeple and bell survived the fire. However, the faith and loyalty of the congregation were not destroyed. Two days later it was agreed to construct a temporary church structure. On June 14, 1922 the congregation voted to build a new church edifice on the site of the destroyed church. The new church was rededicated on Easter Sunday, April 12, 1925.

Hard times were endured and sacrifices made by the congregation to support and maintain the church during the Depression years of the 1930s. As early as 1945 a growing Harrison population and increase in Sunday school attendance led to expansion of the church building. The first floor was completed and occupied by September 1951.

Today Harrison Presbyterian Church is best described as a welcoming, family-friendly, Bible-believing church located in Westchester County, about 25 miles north of New York City. It is a friendly church that's diverse economically, racially, and socially. Currently there is a thriving youth group and Sunday School for children and adults. Sunday worship offers blended music including praise and traditional songs, a choir, instrumentalists, and preaching from the Word. Nursery care and God's Kids (lessons during the sermon) are provided for children through second grade. Apart from Sunday worship, the church offers an active Youth Group, Bible studies, prayer, groups, an annual Vacation Bible School, Moms in Prayer, mission trips, and more.

Amid all that goes on at Harrison Presbyterian Church, we pray for God's grace to seek wisdom, humility, and ultimately to remain in Him. Our desire is simply this: "to glorify and worship the living God by preaching the Word, making disciples, and reaching out to the community and world for Jesus Christ. "